Adventure Pic

Adventure Pic
We loved you before we knew you, even when there was just hope for you- we loved you.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Our journey to the decision to adopt



Jay and I's journey started long before this year. For Jay it started in Africa in 2009 when he decided to move to Uganda. The Lord started working in his heart immediately and as the love of Christ consumed him, the love to serve and take care of the fatherless was a calling Jay knew he could not ignore.

Jay with the kids from Sozo. 


My calling to adopt did not occur until October of 2010. I want to be very transparent and admit that I never thought I would want to or be able to adopt a child. I was never against it, but being the oldest of six children and growing up the way that I did,  I never thought I would be able to love a child that was not "blood," for lack of a better term.   God rocked my world when he sent me to Montana and I met some of the most amazing children that changed my life forever.


 After having the opportunity to spend a short time in Montana, falling in love with children who were not my own, I was blown away by my own thinkings. Forming relationships with children who needed love more than they needed anything else in the world helped me understand the calling the Lord called everyone too and that is to take care of orphans and widows. Children do not make the decision to come into this world. Children do not get to choose their parents or their circumstances, but that does not mean they do not need to be loved and know the love of Christ. From that experience I recognized my calling as a mother and my calling as a follower of Christ. This was the beginning of my personal journey.

 Fast forward a little bit, Jay and I got married in April of 2011. The natural question I have learned that people ask you after you get married is, "so when are you guys going to have kids?" ( I am sure anyone reading this blog who is recently married is shaking your head in agreement).  Being the oldest of six,  I feel like I have done everything but actually give birth to a child, so I was in no rush and Jay was in agreement.

We decided we would go the easier route and get animals first, so meet Professor McGonagall aka Maggie- she was our first fur baby. We got her in 2011. ( a story I should blog about because getting her was very unexpected) She is a miniature dachshund miniature schnauzer mix. Brisbane, the Australian Shepherd, joined the Clark clan in April 2013.



In October 2012, Jay and I ventured back to Uganda, this time together. I was ecstatic!! I had heard so many stories, seen so many pictures and had been praying for most of the kids since the day Sozo got them back in 2010! Needless to say it was going to be a trip of a lifetime!

 Jay and I in Rays of Hope 

 Jay and I with Victoria
 All the kids in House 1 before church


It was the first trip to Africa and a mission trip outside the US for me. To say I have never been the same is an understatement. To see the calling answered by my amazing, brave, loving, Jesus filled husband was mind blowing. These kids lives were forever changed because he trusted in the Lord. I am so lucky to have Jay and his leadership as a man of the Lord.

These experiences, along with several years of prayer is what ultimately led to the decision to attend the "kNOw more orphans" conference at The Church at Brookhills in March of this year. At this point Jay and I had been praying more intently about when we would think about having children. Naturally, we also talked about when we would adopt? Would we try to conceive first or should we consider adoption first? There was a lot of discussion back and forth and then the weekend of March 7-8, 2014 solidified that decision.



There are 153 million orphans in the world. 153 MILLION - that is 153 million children that do not have a mommy to cook for them and take care of them when they are sick, a daddy to teach them to play golf or soccer; to protect them from danger, grandparents to give them cheetos for breakfast (according to my Granny that is its own food group) or let them drink sodas with every meal because that is what grandparents do. On top of the every day needs to exist in the world, these children may or may not have the opportunity to know Jesus Christ as their personal savior. 

After having the pleasure of listening to dozens of speakers (some of my personal favorites- Rick Morton, Tony Merida, David Platt, Shawn Groves) Jay and I walked out of there knowing that this would NEVER be our plan B. Our baby, that God willing will come from India, is our PLAN A and we can't wait to meet our little one. 

Please join us on our continued journey from 2 Clarks to 3 as the Lord unfolds his plans for us and our baby! We appreciate the prayers and we will continue to update you as everything happens!

With Hopeful Hearts,

Jay and Erica Clark






1 comment:

  1. Praying for you two. We have adopted a little girl and there truly is no difference between a biological child and an adopted child. Children are a gift if God in whatever form they are given. God bless you in this endeavor. I enjoyed reading your story! Regina Sockwell

    ReplyDelete